Tuesday, December 1, 2015

English/Russian Language Joke

An English-compared-to-Russian-language sort of joke... as found on the Internet. Which purports to show how dumb the English language is compared to Russian.


The phrase given in Russian is Зеленая зелень зеленит зеленую зелень which conveys a real (if silly) meaning using the same word base modified by inflections, and the phrase is then "translated" into English which has no inflections, or endings, and therefore is unable to build a similar meaningful phrase: Green green green green green.

 I tried it in Google Translate and it failed, in fact, it appears Google Translate is where the translation is taken from.




However the correct translation would probably be something like: (The) green greenery greens (some) green greenery, so the English language is capable of the same, it is just that Google Translate can quite do it yet.



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your thoughts. I learn russian by skype with a tutor. And I want to say that your posts help me a lot in training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never know the use of adobe shadow until i saw this post. thank you for this! this is very helpful. language translation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello to every one, for the reason that I am really keen of reading this blog’s post to be updated regularly.
    new dubai translation company

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love significantly your own post! I look at all post is great. I discovered your personal content using bing search. Discover my webpage is a great one as you.I work to create several content this post. Once more you can thank you and keep it create! Enjoy! traducciones de inglés

    ReplyDelete

SHOP ON REDBUBBLE